17 January 2023

fitzgeralding

 


a long time ago ….a very long time ago ….it was back on Long Island ….. and so ….before I got a car I had to call taxis. There was not much of any form of public transportation so this was before Hollywood moved in. You know, when Long Island was one long sleepy town. There was the North Shore and the South Shore; Fitzgerald’s ‘eggs’ in the Great Gatsby —or I should say; one-very-long-beach. Things went slower.

One ride was filled with several people (no Uber) and often it was common to end up on the other side of the island just to get to work perhaps twenty normal minutes away. Instead, this could be an hour and twenty minutes. 


Well Long Island is filled with secrets. Or was back then. And when you ride in those taxis and some get in that are too drunk to drive…. you end up at mansions ….and so it was some weird sleepy night some stranger slunk out the door next to me reeking of gin and sick; dressed like a wanna be Janis Joplin and …. the guys in the car were weirdly silent watching her walk the way to the beach house 

I never asked whose home it was. 


soon after I managed to have enough to buy a car so, those wild rides came to an end. But, I know another side to the facades of those monolithic homes 

No comments: