23 June 2022

a nobody’s reign

 



Besides the Greeks and ancient history, I am fascinated by the Renaissance and medieval history; particularly the people who have shaped western literature and culture 


Chaucer’s sister-in-law was Katherine Swynford, who was the mistress of John of Gaunt; and of their illegitimate line came Henry VIII



It is not the crowns and the powers and the glories I am drawn to dig through in my personal studies


It is the frailties of the people that lure me in—that an unassuming peasant girl from Belgium, reared in a nunnery ….could turn the head of someone who had then been the most powerful man of those times and then bear the illegitimate lineage that would one day change the future course of a foreign nation and challenge the Vatican itself 


It is this …. I spend hours in wistful thoughts within my cells ….I cling to


why? 

We forget what power each and everyone of us have if we are willing to take that high flung risk of chance 


a nobody peasant girl from nowhere whose bloodline became majestic and somehow still flows on


No comments: